- 18th May 2023
Winners / W 2023 Prize
On 14 April 2023, a jury met in Paris to select the winning projects for the W 2023 Prize. The foundation received 57 quality projects. Four projects were awarded, including two projects that tied for third place. Ten projects received mentions. The awards ceremony take place at the Wilmotte Foundation Gallery in Venice on 18th May 2023.
For its tenth edition, the Foundation proposed a challenge that is as stimulating as it is essential: A roof for all! Rooftops shape the landscape of cities and the countryside, they shape the horizon. A roof is a protection, it is a shelter to rebuild oneself. It is a promise of a renewed family and social life.
Faced with the current crisis of inadequate housing, we invited participants to imagine original solutions in order to design habitable modules that would fit under these existing and unused roofs (roofs of agricultural sheds, industrial wastelands, railway or military heritage and the roofs of abandoned medium-sized commercial premises, etc.).
Vanni Renzini (24) & Silvia Roseto (25), Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy • Al Traverso
Brieuc de Norre (24) la faculté d’architecture La Cambre Horta de l’université libre de Bruxelles, Belgique & Phan Dang Khoa (26), École Nationale Supérieure Paris Malaquais, France • Un héritage industriel au profit de logements sociaux
#3rd ex aequo
• Viet Thai Dang (26), École Nationale Supérieure Paris La Villette, France • Laneway Village
• Théo Bienvenu (26) & Claire Romsée (25) l’Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Architecture de Nantes, France • Le Toit du quartier – Vivre dignement ensemble sous les nefs de la Rapée
• Alberto Roncelli (28) & Nicole Vettore (26) Polytechnic of Milan, Italy • A New Heart
• Thai Hong Lim (28) & Khac Kien Nguyen (25), Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’architecture de Paris Belleville, France • Une vie sous le toit
• David Nielsen (31) Det Kongelige Akademi – Arkitektur, Design, Konservering, Denmark • Settlements under the roof
• Anna Myts (28), Czech technical university, Prague, Czech Republic • A roof over everybody’s head
• Marine Hazan (25) & Juliette Martine (25), Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’architecture Paris La Vilette, France • Portiques dans les prés
• Alessia Maurri (22) & Camilla Marchionni (23), Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy • SHELTER-IN
• Alexander N. C Christensen (31) Royal Danish Academy, Denmark • Station to Station
• Kay Jansen (24) FH Kaernten, Austria • 220.757km
• Benjamin Koslitsh (35) & Samuel Grasser (29), Carinthia University of Applied Sciences, Austria • six + more
• Juliette Douillet (21) & Nicolas Beffe (22) l’Ecole d’Architecture de la ville et des territoires, Paris, France • Un hangar collaboratif à Pise